Fire and Ice
The clannish Finnar and Saxa have long obeyed the laws of hospitality, though it is not exclusive to them. Most civilized races follow the basic tenets, with only minor cultural differences. The basic laws of hospitality are as follows:
- Guests must be welcomed at any hour.
- Hosts are responsible for the welfare of their guests.
- Guests must be given a minimum of bread, water, a blanket, a roof over their head, and entertainment.
- Guests may not bring their host into disrepute while under his protection, nor raise arms against him, nor speak of him badly. This also covers his family.
- Guests may stay for up to three days without being required to gift their host. After this, it is considered extremely boorish to remain under your host’s roof without recompensing him in some manner worthy of his status. Gifts within the first three days are optional.
Characters who break these ancient laws receive a –2 penalty to Charisma for the next month, not only because word of their deeds will spread, but because the gods look badly on those who cannot follow simple courtesy.